Mother’s Day is this Sunday, May 13th! We would like to wish all the Moms out there a wonderful and relaxing day! A mother is always a good source of advice - pretty much on most topics, even real estate. Here’s some motherly advice when contemplating a real estate purchase or sale:
· Don’t overspend. You will probably fall in love with that beautiful, expensive home that is at the top of (or just over) your budget. You will be tempted to buy it but try to keep your wits about you. You don’t want to become house poor and try to live beyond your means. It will become very stressful and you will ultimately regret it.
· Do your homework. In other words, do your research. Talk to a lender and get preapproved to learn how much you can afford. Before you hire a real estate agent, make sure they are reputable and know the area. Once you find a home you like, make sure you do an inspection. You get the idea.
· Clean your house. Maintaining your home both inside and out will pay off in the long run. If you ever decide to sell in the future, your home will be in good shape and help to bring top dollar.
· Cut the grass. This advice goes hand in hand with cleaning your house. Keeping your yard looking good adds value to your home and your neighborhood as well. Curb appeal is very important.
· Be nice to your neighbors. You don’t have to become bosom buddies but having a cordial and friendly relationship with your neighbors is much better than the alternative. Having a sense of community adds to a neighborhood’s appeal and the word will spread that it’s a great place to live.
We hope you heed our motherly advice. It is given with love and experience. Happy Mother’s Day!