Selling your home is a very exciting but sometimes stressful project. There are many factors that comprise a successful home sale. Don’t make some of these mistakes or you may lose valuable selling time.
· Don’t try to sell your house alone! This is probably the number one mistake. It’s important to hire a good real estate agent. You may be concerned with paying an agent’s commission but it has been proven statistically that selling your home with the help of a good real estate agent will ultimately net you a higher sales price in the end. Not only that but your home will sell faster than if you were to try to sell it yourself. Agents have access to a wide range of resources in which to advertise your home and reach a much broader range of potential buyers. Also, it’s their job to handle all the advertising, calls and showings on your home. It can be very time consuming and attention must be paid because the sale of your house is on the line.
· Don’t overprice your home. A good real estate agent will put together a comparative market analysis which will give you an accurate idea of what similar homes in your neighborhood have sold for in the recent past. Sites such as Zillow are not the best resources to estimate the value of your home. It has been shown that Zillow’s estimations of home values can be off by as much as $14,000 on average. If your home is overpriced it may sit on the market with no activity at all.
· Don’t get offended if your agent tells you to make improvements to your home. Improvements don’t always have to cost a lot of money. Your home might just need a good cleaning and de-cluttering to make it more appealing to potential buyers. A home that is staged usually sells faster and for more money.
· Make sure your pictures look professional. A good real estate agent will hire a professional who has the right camera and knows all the tricks to get the best angle of every room in your house. With the majority of buyers using the internet to shop for houses, good pictures are especially important.
· Don’t be unwilling to negotiate. Your agent may be able to work out a deal in which everyone involved will be satisfied. Compromises may have to be made but the end result will hopefully be that your house gets sold.
Listing with ChangingStreets.com is always a smart choice. From the comparative market analysis to the photographs and measurements, we will tailor a listing that will tell the story of your home and make it stand out to qualified buyers.