I might be writing this a bit too soon (it’s March) but I think spring is here in Michigan! It’s been sunny and warm and with the new daylight savings time change it feels like the days are never ending…..perfect for getting things done around the house. Here are a few projects that really should be done at least once a year. They don’t call it spring cleaning for nothing!
· Clean Carpets. If your carpets aren’t brand new (and under warranty) just rent a deep cleaner and get to work. If you have carpets that are still under warranty you may need to hire a professional to avoid voiding it. Many stores carry these deep cleaners that you can rent for a few hours or even a day. A good way to keep your carpets cleaner throughout the year is to avoid wearing shoes in the house. It’s also better to wear socks than to go barefoot as oils from the skin on your feet attract dirt.
· Wash Windows. This is a big project no doubt but don’t feel like you have to get them all done in one day. Pick a room or two a day (or week) and just wash those windows until they all get done. Pick a cloudy day as the sun will dry the cleaning solution too fast and you’ll get streaks. Also, microfiber clothes or a good squeegee are ideal tools for the job.
· “No Man’s Land” Cleaning. It’s time to vacuum and clean under furniture and appliances. Get a helper and move that sofa, refrigerator, stove, etc. so that you can get those dust bunnies and crud off the floor! Yuck!
· Dust up High. It’s easy to forget things on the ceiling such as light fixtures and ceiling fans. Microfiber clothes are good for this job and don’t forget about the light bulbs themselves (make sure they’re not hot!). While you’re at it, dust cabinet tops and high shelves.
· Gutters and Downspouts. Clean out the debris and inspect your gutters and downspouts for damage at least once a year, preferably twice. Gutters are essential for diverting water away from the exterior of your house and foundation. Enough said!
There are many other projects that probably need to get done around the house besides these but the ones listed above are a good start. As the weather warms up, open the windows and let the fresh air in and old man winter out!