While house hunting there are some key questions to think about before you uproot yourself and move:
- Do you want to live in the city or out in the suburbs?
- How far of a commute to work are you willing to endure?
- Are you going to be living in the house for at least 3 years?
- Realistically, is this mortgage payment too high and going to make you "house poor"?
- Is there room for a growing family and is the school district desirable?
- A big yard or acreage is nice but how much time and money is needed to maintain it?
- How much are the taxes in that area?
- Is there a homeowner's association and if so how much are dues?
- Take a look at the houses in the neighborhood you are considering, especially the one's right next to the house you're interested in. Do they have the same work ethic for good home and yard maintenance?
- What is the area's resale value? Is it a growing and vibrant community and does it offer you the cultural opportunities and amenities that interest you?
Buying a home is one of the most expensive decisions you'll make in your life. It's always a good idea to do some research before signing on the dotted line.