I’ve been following John Gonzalez on MLive for a few months. He is a statewide entertainment writer and has been traveling around the state rating “Michigan’s Best.” From what I gathered, businesses in select categories were nominated by the public and then the top voted businesses from each category were visited. From those experiences across the state the winners were ranked. He’s taken some of the legwork and guesswork out of figuring out the best places to eat and drink. Some restaurants and pubs in our own area (mostly Genesee County) have made the top ten lists for the state! Here are a few to try out if you haven’t already:
1. Crust in Fenton came in at #3 for Best Doughnut. The bakery has only been around for about 2 years and makes everything from scratch. Gonzalez, a.k.a. Gonzo, suggests the peanut butter and jelly doughnut which is only available on weekends. For all the yummy info on Crust visit their website: http://www.crustandbeyond.com.
2. Mexico at the Market was ranked #7 for Best Taco. They are located right in the Flint Farmer’s Market. Their servings are generous and they are all about the flavor not just heat and spice. Gonzo’s recommendations for tacos include: al pastor, carne asada, chicken and chorizo and egg. You can get more information on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Mexicoatthemarket
3. Torch Bar and Grill in Flint received a #8 ranking in the state for Best Burger. This pub has been open since 1947 and serves up wonderful half pound burger. For more information visit their web page: http://www.torchbar.com.
4. T. Dub’s in Frankenmuth was placed at #5 for Best Pizza. Gonzo says the pizzas are not thick like Chicago style or thin like New York but somewhere in between. They call it “East Coast pizza”. There is a variety of interesting pizza combinations and one of Gonzo’s favorites is called the “Harbormaster” (which is kind of like a BBQ chicken pizza). You can visit their web page at: http://www.t-dubs.com.
5. Redwood Steakhouse and the Fenton Winery and Brewery got on the “Best of the Rest” list for Michigan’s Best Brewery. Redwood Steakhouse is in Flint and has been brewing their own beer since 1997 and has a great menu including fresh sushi and oysters. The owners of the Fenton Winery and Brewery have been making wine and brewing beer for about six years now. Gonzo suggests trying the blackberry merlot fermented with their cream stout. For more information on these two restaurants visit their websites: http://www.theredwoodlodge.com and http://www.fentonwinery.com.
I would have liked that assignment – travelling around Michigan eating and drinking! How fun is that? If you’re trying to decide where to go to eat this weekend why not try one of above? Not only are they some of Michigan’s Best but they are right in our own back yard. Can’t get any better than that!