This week is officially “Laugh at Work” week. I am happy to say that at ChangingStreets, EVERY week is Laugh at Work week. It makes all the difference in the world to be able to have fun at your job and to have co-workers that make you laugh. In all seriousness, being serious is seriously unproductive.
Studies have shown that humor in the workplace promotes many positive things:
· People who laugh more are more productive than people who are too serious. It’s been shown to improve alertness, memory and a general sense of well-being.
· Humor promotes a good group dynamic where everybody feels more like part of a team and has a general sense of belonging (this is true only if the humor is not mean or divisive).
· Laughter boosts creativity by lowering stress and anxiety.
Not to mention other health benefits of a good belly laugh:
· Reduces risk of heart disease by lowering stress hormones like cortisol and lowering blood pressure.
· According to WebMD, “studies have shown that the ability to use humor may raise the level of infection-fighting antibodies in the body and boost the levels of immune cells, as well.”
· Laughter has been shown to lower blood sugar levels.
A good laugh truly is the best medicine for everything that ails you. Here’s hoping that every day, whether you’re at work or at home, is filled with positive people with a great sense of humor. As E.E. Cummings once said, “The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.”