Winter can be an unusually difficult time if you need to sell your home. Typically, spring and summer are more productive months in the real estate market simply because the weather is nicer and families can move while their kids are out of school during the summer. Spring is also the time when people receive tax return money so there’s more confidence to buy. So what can you do to make your home as marketable as possible if you have to sell your home during the winter months? Check out these great tips:
1. Clear your driveway and sidewalks of ice and snow so that your real estate agent and potential buyers can access your home more easily. It shows that you care about your property and keep it maintained. If you don’t live in the house you’re trying to sell, hire somebody to do the shoveling for you.
2. Light – light – light. Try to have showings during the good daylight hours. Open up all your blinds or curtains (which have been cleaned, of course, along with the windows) and let as much natural light in as possible. Turn the lights on in the house as well.
3. Make your home feel cozy and warm. Put comfy throws on your couch. Place a fluffy comforter on your bed along with some pretty pillows. If you can, set the thermostat at a comfortable temperature.
4. Set your dining room table with pretty dishes and glassware as if you’re preparing for a fun dinner party. Bake some chocolate chip cookies (or cinnamon rolls, bread, etc.) for that wonderful scent that fills your house. Turn on some soft music in the background. Set and stage your house in the best possible light to create a comforting atmosphere and make your buyers feel as though they’d like to move right in.
5. The holidays have passed - take down your Christmas/Hanukkah decorations if they are still up! You can still spruce up your door and entryway though. Hang a nice winter wreath (or one inspired by Valentine’s Day). Or, maybe some dried flower arrangements near the entryway (not fake or plastic). A pretty vase of fresh flowers in the kitchen or on the dining room table are always a nice touch no matter what season.
The winter months are a little more challenging but in general the advice for selling your home remains the same. Create an atmosphere where the buyers can envision themselves living there. Make your home as inviting as possible and hopefully the offers will come rolling in!
(Source: Dana Dratch, Bankrate.com)